Vlad's planted community tank

Pictures of shrimps, fish, plants, and tanks

Re: Vlad's planted community tank

Postby vladguan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 am

Update:
Removed the large C. Wendtiis and C. Balansaes as well as the large Anubias and Java Fern. I also removed all the Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata, Rotala Macrandra and Colorata and Limnopbila Aromatica (these will be trimmed and replanted). I then applied a layer of river sand to the back to raise it and re-arranged the DWs. I then replanted trimmings of the above mentioned. I still need to trim the Java Fern Windelov and remove the GDA that is on the back glass. I also added a few stems of the S[LEFT]yngonanthus [/LEFT]Belem from a friend to the back right.

FTS:

RHS:

LHS:

It will take some time for the stems behind the JFW and Subwassertang on the DWs to reach visible height. I will wait for the plants to grow a bit and may do some minor re-arrangement. I might also split the Stauro Repens hedge in the middle and plant the removed ones to make each side look more deeper than just a linear look.
Please call me Vlad!
My tank.
vladguan
Premium

Suburb: Salisbury Area

Postby vladguan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Another update.

Decided to remove all the Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata as it grows too fast, like three times faster than the Limnophila Aromatica, which is already faster than the others. I also removed all the Java Fern Windelov, along with the drift wood it was attached to. I also removed the bunch of Subwassertang that was on the other DW and left the DW bare. Finally, I also got rid of most of the Rotala Colorata.

Got some more S. Belem, Stauro Porto Velho and AR Mini from a friend with much thanks and have rearranged the plants a bit. I have trimmed and replanted the Rotala Macrandra. These were planted behind the Stauro Repens on the left and between the Stauro Repens and the Subwassertang, as well as between the Stauro Repens and the DW. They are only about 5cm tall so will take time to show. I then planted the AR Mini on the left, separated the Staurogyne Repens so the DW protrudes and with replanted the ones pullled out to make two triangular shapes of Staurogyne Repens. I then planted the Staurogyne Porto Velho in the mid right, between the Staurogyne Repens and Limnophila Aromatica, with some more of the Limnophila Aromatica in the back left corner as well. The S. Repens and a few Rotala Colorata are then planted in the center back position.

The next task is to trim the Staurogyne Repens.

I had a wall of GDA at the back and the pond snails have all but eaten them.

I have also been tossing up whether to get some dwarf Gouramis or not. It seems that peoples' experiences were divided. So, last week, I got a regular dwarf Gourami (about 3cm) and it was very shy. Never bothered my RCSs, in fact, most of the time it hid with the RCSs. I then got a slightly bigger one (about 5cm) and this one was less shy and also started bullying the smaller one. This led me to get another 2. They were the golden type (has single colour which is like molten larva colour). One was 3cm and other was 4cm. Now all 4 are behaving themselves. My RCSs are also left alone.

Interesting though that they don't go for the crushed snails like the Cardinal and Lemon Tetras do. The other interesting thing is that both golden ones are very curious fish. They would swim to the front and follow me when I am near the tank and be right at the top where the hood flap is, waiting for food. When I have my arm in the tank doing replantings, they nibble on my arm. I even got one to have a sniff at a crushed snail in my palm. I reckon I am going to train them to feed off my hand. First the RCSs, then the C. Typus and now the Golden Dwarf Gouramis. LOL.
Please call me Vlad!
My tank.
vladguan
Premium

Suburb: Salisbury Area

Postby Smokey188 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:50 pm

why this looks amazing! Well done Vlad, I totally suck at keeping plants alive java moss and anubis are the only things i've managed to keep going. That subwassertang looks awesome is it tricky to keeep alive?
Smokey188
Egg

Suburb: Casey

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery