Anyone keep or breed African Cichlids?

Cichlid dicussion

Anyone keep or breed African Cichlids?

Postby PrevueFish » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone here is a keeper or a breeder of African cichlids?
PrevueFish
Shrimplet

Suburb: Sydney

Re: Anyone keep or breed African Cichlids?

Postby Neo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Used to be a mad cichlid fanatic. Have probably kept every single cichlid out there but only bred mainly yellows, blues, geophagous, peacock, too many to remember. But my favourite would have to be my frontosa. Kept them and bred them for over 5 years. Love their blue colour and gentle temperament. Still keep an old 7 bar frontosa that I couldnt bear to sell.
Neo
Premium

Postby bigbird » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 pm

same afer 30years in the aquarium hobby, I also spent 6-7 years breeding anything you can think of. My absolute favourite as they worked well in a 3fter was the yello ocellatus shell dwellers. As substrate used fine silica sand, coral rocks and other rosk for set up and then just added empty shells from the beach ( down botany bay these shells are perfect size for them) they then used to burrow these shells into the sand and breed. The best and cutest ever. Also liked any of the mouthbreeders, cool to see the mother care and nurture the you in her mouth. cheers jk
I speak my mind and say what I think. Might not be what you wish to hear, but i am honest .
bigbird
Chocolate Cherry

Suburb: Southern suburbs SYD

Postby ThePrawn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:33 pm

I breed them by the thousands. Literally.
I specialize at the moment in OB peacocks. Yea not so fancy but super fun to linebreed on a large scale as ya get some weirdo ones lol
ThePrawn
Shrimplet

Suburb: South Brisbane

Postby daniely » Sun May 19, 2013 1:25 am

hey man, i breed cyp. leptosoma "utinta" and like others, have bred many! i find cyps to be my most favourite of all tanganyikans. then it would be tied with frontosa and petrochromis ahha. i also am trying to get my electric blue balloon rams going!

very nice theprawn, i love ob peacocks!
daniely

Suburb: Carramar, Sydney

Postby Neo » Sun May 19, 2013 9:29 am

Has anyone seen the documentary, "Jewel of the Rift"? It features a documentary on the cichlids of lake tanganika. Its well worth the watch.

Here is the first part.

The documentary features one of the greatest cichlids of them all, which happens to be the smallest cichlid, the multifaciatus. They pack a bunch of personality and they hold their own with fish 10 times its size.
Neo
Premium

Postby daniely » Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 am

seen that doco neo really interesting!
daniely

Suburb: Carramar, Sydney

Postby eels101 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm

yes i saw the doco before to a must watch for every one
eels101
Blue Cherry

Suburb: toormina

Postby Joshie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Hey mate, I'm new to the forum :)

I keep a tank with malawi cichlids, namely l yellow labs, mbamba labs, rusties, a lone peacock and acei's which unfortunately hybridised with my electric blue before she died. I'll have to get rid of the hybrids if i ever decide to sell them though but for the moment they look heaps co in the tank.
Joshie
Egg

Suburb: Oxley

Postby oscarshrimp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:03 pm

I have a frontosa with brown stripes, which is weird, and an electric yellow. Never breed any cichlids.
My favorite activity is watching my fish tank sitting with a big block of marvelous creation chocolate and a medium bottle of creaming soda.
oscarshrimp
Egg

Suburb: Quakers Hill

Return to Cichlids