Tanganyika cichlids

Cichlid dicussion

Tanganyika cichlids

Postby daniely » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm

hey guys, thought i'd start up a post for those of us who keep african gems. as you all know i breed cyp leptosoma utintas, however i recently acquired some awesome sand sifters which are a bit hard to come by in sydney, they are "enantiopus kilesa." mine are a trio but still young, the previous seller told me there was a pair with the third being unknown. it looks like there are some possible courting action will keep you guys updated.

i think its great for the forum to have a mixture of aquatic pets, have the best of both worlds! are there any other tanganyikan cichlid keepers on here? i know you're out there hehe.
daniely

Suburb: Carramar, Sydney

Re: Tanganyika cichlids

Postby bigbird » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:36 pm

They are stunners indeed. I used to also have the tangs and found them stunning. Mynfavourite were the shelldwellers oscellatus, just watching them rearranging the sand for their shells is priceless. Also loved the nigripinnis. Cheers jk
I speak my mind and say what I think. Might not be what you wish to hear, but i am honest .
bigbird
Chocolate Cherry

Suburb: Southern suburbs SYD

Postby daniely » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

I have never owned the little shell dwellers, they are the hobbits of the tang world! Will need to get me some, looking at the golds hehe. I wonder if they would be ok with cherry shrimps...

I used to breed nigripinnis, should have kept them! The albino versions look sweet!
daniely

Postby bigbird » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 pm

would not keep shrimp with ant african at all. They will gobble them up so fast. The gold Ocellatus are great and the ones I had. just the best. cheers jk
I speak my mind and say what I think. Might not be what you wish to hear, but i am honest .
bigbird
Chocolate Cherry

Suburb: Southern suburbs SYD

Postby Rowie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 pm

I myself keep a range of tangs and have been breeding them for around 4 years heres a list of what i have...
Xenotilapia ochrogenys makola, Xenotilapia flavipinnis nyzac lac, Xenotilapia flavipinnis isanga yellow line, Xenotilapia flavipinnis lyamembe, cyprichromis leptosoma kekese blue flash yellow anal, gold black and blue occelatus, goldcomps, gold head mutondwe comps, sumbu shells, white and black calvus, ectomodus decampsii, leleupi longior and a fee others, as you can tell i cant get enough of these guys lol
Rowie
Shrimplet

Suburb: Newcastle

Postby daniely » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 pm

rowie are you on ace forums by any chance LOL? we will get along well mate, do you keep shrimps or planted aquariums??
daniely

Postby Rowie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah ive been on ace for years lol and i have a few shrimp yellow cherries, SSS CBS, a blue bolt and a few mishlings, rillis, pumpkin shrimp and a few CRS
Rowie
Shrimplet

Postby Neo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Im also a Tang fan. I find they are much more social than the cichlids from lake malawi. Did you also keep frontosa?
Neo
Premium

Postby Rowie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 am

Frontosa wise i currently keep mpimbwe but have previously kept burundi, kigoma, tanzanites and also kipili and i must agree neo tangs have a much more interesting personality than most malawi species
Rowie
Shrimplet

Postby Neo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Malawi cichlids are good for their colours though, makes a colourful looking tank. But all that colour creates alot of territorial issues.

I used to like the multifaciatus. Tiny fellas who was busy all day. Each time I look inside the tank they would be moving stuff around all day long. :lol:
Neo
Premium

Next

Return to Cichlids