Upside down catfish

Cathfish and pleco discussion

Upside down catfish

Postby lorby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

Hi everyone! Being a bit of a noob here. Just wondering if anyone has kept upside down catfish before. I tried to do some research but it turns out there are a number of species sharing the same common name "upside down catfish". I'm wondering if anyone has kept some varieties that would do well in perhaps a 3ft community tank or a 2ft community tank. A lot of the species seem to grow to 10cm or so, but I read about smaller varieties that might be suitable.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated :)
lorby
Premium

Suburb: Blacktown, Sydney

Re: Upside down catfish

Postby Zen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:09 am

I've got one of these guys. I didn't mean to (my fish guy has limited English). I asked him for peppered cories, he nets this lone upside down catfish not having a clue what I meant, and I figure I'll up the school when he gets them in. I'm not sure what kind mine is. It's very antisocial. It's in a 4 ft community, been there a few months. It's a mystery fish to me as well!
Zen
Egg

Suburb: Penrith

Postby lorby » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah, they look fascinating, just having some trouble finding out some hard facts about them!
lorby
Premium

Postby Jhughes84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:01 pm

What did you need to know?

The smaller variety should only get to a maximum of 7-8cm - they do prefer to be in groups, not best kept alone.

I believe its scientific name is Synodontis nigriventris.

I used to have them, they are pretty cool - I also had a Syndontis Eupteris, but they get a pretty decent size facsinating none the less.
Jhughes84
Egg

Suburb: Ashfield

Postby davyboi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:16 pm

i kept a handful of them up until last year. basically almost exclusively nocturnal species..

i ended up selling them off for that reason, i didnt get to enjoy them. but they are certainly an interesting looking species
davyboi
Egg

Suburb: Fairfield

Postby lorby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 am

I was basically just wondering if I could keep them in my tank and what special requirements if any they have. I've since purchased some SAE and more cory's so my tank is pretty full up now.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like they'll be a possibility for future tank development :).
lorby
Premium

Postby oscarshrimp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Okay, here's some basic information. They come from Congo. They grow 10cm and will eat any smaller fish. They lay eggs under leaves.
My favorite activity is watching my fish tank sitting with a big block of marvelous creation chocolate and a medium bottle of creaming soda.
oscarshrimp
Egg

Suburb: Quakers Hill

Return to Catfish