10 MAJOR TIPS FOR THE MARINE HOBBYIST

General discussion on marine tanks

10 MAJOR TIPS FOR THE MARINE HOBBYIST

Postby emboli » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 am

As some of you know I ventured into the world of marine before I decommissioned my tank.
Along this wildly fun and addictive journey I made some terrible mistakes which could have been corrected.
Here are the 10 major tips I have learnt since starting with marine.

1. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Like in freshwater not all fish and corals are compatible.
Never ever impulse buy! I know it is so hard to resist that cool looking fish or flouro coral in your LFS; but making that purchase without research is a recipe for disaster!
Plan everything out and go slow. One good example is purchasing a cowfish. These are AMAZING Fish with some important disadvantages.
A sick cow fish can potentially wipe out your whole aquarium by exuding a deadly toxin. They are also not coral friendly.
2. GO SLOW AND STEADY Unlike freshwater, a marine system takes longer to cycle and mature. I would wait at least a month
before adding bioload. I would again do some research before adding the more sensitive corals and fish which require lot longer periods.
3. LIVE ROCKS NOT CANISTERS Canister filters can be used in a fish only marine system but are nitrate factories. Canisters gather detritus
and waste. Corals require almost 0 nitrates hence it is much better to cycle with live rock and a power head. I have used marine pure blocks with much success.
4. LARGE SUMPS are BENEFICIAL! I cannot stress this enough! A large sump is very beneficial when starting out in the marine hobby.
Not only is a place to harbor your copepods; it is a great place to put your skimmer, deep sand bed (for denitritrification) and your live rock!
Other equipment easily placed into a sump is your heater, auto-top up, thermometer, dosing pumps... the list goes on!
It also expands the volume of your system. A pico/nano marine tank is a LOT harder to maintain than a 3 footer. Hence if you plan on getting a nano;
get a large sump for it!
5. JOIN YOUR LOCAL MAS Before you buy your equipment; take my advice and join your state's local Marine Aquatic Society.
There are HUGE benefits. Not only do you get to meet new people; you also get discounts off the major stores. This saves you $$$.
http://www.masa.asn.au/masa/
6. WATER CHANGES One of the biggest problems for me was the water changes. If you live in an apartment it can get very very tiring carrying buckets of saltwater to the top floor.
Alternatively, you can make up your artificial mix but it requires R/O water or you will run into potential problems with algae. Getting a R/O unit may be beneficial.
7. PLAN UP YOUR COSTS This is one thing I did not do. Towards the end of the 6 months I had already spent over $3000 in equipment and livestock.
It is not unusual to exceed $10 000 in total costs in this hobby. Having said this; it is a very bad idea to buy cheap equipment as you will end up replacing it later on.
The best thing you can do is again do the research and buy quality equipment that you will not end up replacing later down the track.
Sharing advice with other marine hobbyists is very beneficial and never be too shy to ask questions.
Some tanks come with oversize skimmers, pumps and most of the equipment you will need. This will save you $$$.
8. NOISE This is one thing a lot of people do not consider when purchasing a marine setup. It can potentially make a lot of noise and thus is not
best placed next to your bed. Here are a few things that can contribute to the orchestra of chaos.
a) Cheap / large skimmers
b) Return pump (choose the model carefully taking noise into account)
c) Gurgling drain to the sump (a durso can correct this problem)
d) Chiller (can be noisy)
e) Powerhead (least noisy of the lot)
Below is a quick fix to a gurgling sump. The installation of a Durso Standpipe.
9. PEST CORALS When you buy your live rock, make sure you inspect it very carefully for pests algae. Some examples of pest algae include
aptasia and bubble algae. Pest algae can make your life very miserable later down the track. Also there are many types of live rock to consider.
When making the purchase look for porous types of rock that look big but are very light. This maximises surface area in your system and really
helps with biofiltration. The best type of live rock i have used is "Christmas Tree Live Rock".
10. HAVE FUN I do not think I need to explain this - Have fun and Good luck!
- No, I don't want to come to your Dog's wedding...you freak. I am throwing a birthday party for my shrimp that weekend.
Marine, Shrimp and Planted Tank Enthusiast.
emboli
Orange Cherry

Suburb: syd

Re: 10 MAJOR TIPS FOR THE MARINE HOBBYIST

Postby edk911 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 am

Good post. I'd love a marine tank but I'd also like someone else to set it up and maintain it for me so I can just sit back and watch it be.
edk911

Suburb: Pennant Hills

Postby emboli » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 am

That would be ideal :) If only we had butlers haha!
- No, I don't want to come to your Dog's wedding...you freak. I am throwing a birthday party for my shrimp that weekend.
Marine, Shrimp and Planted Tank Enthusiast.
emboli
Orange Cherry

Suburb: syd

Postby Deepfriedmario » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 pm

i'll be ur butler but it won't be cheap hahaha :P
Deepfriedmario
Chocolate Cherry

Suburb: Shortland

Postby Neo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I have high respect for those who are into marines. Takes alot of patience and money to care for them.
Neo
Premium

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 am

I'm starting up one

And good place to get cheap/discounted fish??
Raymond
Shrimplet

Suburb: St Albans

Return to General Marine Discussion