Marine Tanks

General discussion on marine tanks

Marine Tanks

Postby Neo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:06 am

Thought I might start the conversation.

Anyone on Shrimpscape have a marine tank or think about getting into saltwater?
Neo
Premium

Re: Marine Tanks

Postby phobull » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

I wanted to... but....... i am too scared of all the deaths and cycling that take ages,
He Who Controls the Spice Controls The Universe

phobull
Red cherry

Suburb: Sydney

Postby GoldComps » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I have wanted salt water since i 1st got fish. Just very hard. But i guess you gotta start somewhere. I don't think ill start salt this year but maybe next :) will see.
Matt: 3FT Divided Tank : Snow White| Black Cherries | S\SS\SSS CRS [ 2ft panda, blue bolt and mischling

Sarah: Aquaone 620 : 6x Ranchu Goldfish | 1x Peppermint
2012 ShrimpScape Member of the Year
GoldComps
Crystal Red

Suburb: Smithfield NSW

Postby Easty75 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 pm

I used to have a mini reef tank some years ago and i tell you there marine systems nowadays make keeping marines somewhat easier, I would of never in a million years considered doing saltwater in anything under a 4 footer now people are doing it in nanos. Just remember "good things come to those who wait " a good saying for us aquatic coniseurs especially when it comes to marine.
Cheers Simon

The only way to successfully breed CRS shrimp is explain to them this simple rule
"execute one educate a million" they tend to behave after the first one.
Easty75
Blue Cherry

Suburb: Castle Hill

Postby Easty75 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:22 pm

I used to have a mini reef tank some years ago and i tell you there marine systems nowadays make keeping marines somewhat easier, I would of never in a million years considered doing saltwater in anything under a 4 footer now people are doing it in nanos. Just remember "good things come to those who wait " a good saying for us aquatic coniseurs especially when it comes to marine.
Cheers Simon

The only way to successfully breed CRS shrimp is explain to them this simple rule
"execute one educate a million" they tend to behave after the first one.
Easty75
Blue Cherry

Suburb: Castle Hill

Postby phobull » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17 am

Easty75 wrote:I used to have a mini reef tank some years ago and i tell you there marine systems nowadays make keeping marines somewhat easier, I would of never in a million years considered doing saltwater in anything under a 4 footer now people are doing it in nanos. Just remember "good things come to those who wait " a good saying for us aquatic coniseurs especially when it comes to marine.

True, i saw some nano's at blacktown recently with seahorses i wanted to but again i am scared i would kill everything lol.

However i may consider a tank full of port jackson sharks!
He Who Controls the Spice Controls The Universe

phobull
Red cherry

Postby Forevermango » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 am

Before plants, I used to breed Bangi Cardinals, and cultivate corals. It was a lot of fun and hardwork, which put me off to the lazy plant keeping :P

But soon I am looking to make a 6ft marine tank just for clams and SPS corals :)
Addicted to plants :)
Forevermango
Premium

Suburb: Sydenham

Postby LEGIT » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Currently have a 80l AIO mix reef setup, Housing Softies, sps, lps, zoas, rics etc
Word of advice to any one contemplating whether to have ago; please take your time and dont rush haha

Btw if theirs any one keen, i will be selling my setup soon and upgrading so pm me haha

Will throw in base rock and when your ready ill frag you some corals!
LEGIT
Egg

Suburb: Bossley Park

Postby Bwidjaja1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Thinking of it, but not sure how to start lol..
Bwidjaja1
Egg

Suburb: sydney

Postby Dave1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm

I have an LPS/SPS reef tank and a nano housing LPS and softies. I have also bred marine fish in the past. Marine tanks with fish only are not that different to fresh water fish tanks. Reef tanks with corals are a completely different challenge. The set up and methodology behind them are different to freshwater. My advice to anyone wanting to take the plunge is wait, spend 6 months researching everything you can then when you are ready rinse and repeat. The more info you have the better. There is no shortcut or cheap way to be successful regardless of what you are told by your LFS.
If you are serious check out the Australian marine forum. Reefing the Australian way @ http://www.masa.asn.au/. This has a large following and is a good starting point.
Dave1
Egg

Next

Return to General Marine Discussion