Buy Discus Online?

Discus discussion

Re: Buy Discus Online?

Postby Neo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 am

Hi Sam, sorry I have been out of the discus for some time now so dont know who is still breeding them. I would perhaps if you starting out to buy from a LFS. I dont think there are many local discus breeders around to be honest. I used to purchase mine locally from Marlon's Discus. But I think he is no longer around.
Neo
Premium

Postby michaelz101 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:09 am

If you want good quality, there are still a few oit there.... Try slippery little suckers at Kensington. I am selling my collection if you are also interested.
michaelz101
Shrimplet

Suburb: Chatswood NSW

Postby samth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Sorry michael, I would definitley have been interested - but with sydney tap water at 8.4 and a focus on a low tech tank... discus weren't really the right choice for me (as much as I would have loved to have some).

I bought some angelfish instead, so Discus are ruled out for the tank's lifecycle now.
samth
Egg

Suburb: Sydney

Postby Neo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Angelfish are much tougher than discus. You made a good choice based on your circumstances. Get some pics up of your angels Samth :D
Neo
Premium

Postby michaelz101 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 pm

No worries Samth, I also started with angels before leaping onto discus. Angels are good too and alot less demanding.
michaelz101
Shrimplet

Suburb: Chatswood NSW

Postby samth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Urgh.

I had two angelfish, one was weak stock and died.

The other lasted for a few weeks (in which she was active, eating well etc) and then suddenly took a turn for the worst. Saw her facing the back of the tank, wouldn't eat and was dead two days later. Same sort of behaviour as the Discus - fine one moment, rapidly downhill the next.

Water parameters I assume were fine, nothing done differently and angelfish was wormed on arrival.
samth
Egg

Suburb: Sydney

Postby Prawnstarz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm in Sydney, my water is from Prospect reservoir.

I keep a pair of discus in a low-tech planted display tank. The pH in that settles around 7.4, and they are doing great.

I age my water for 2 days normally in a big drum.

Discus are honestly really easy to keep as long as you get the water right, good nutrition, and good quality fish to start with.

A special tip I would have is discus don't like going from a high ph to a lower pH, but they have no problems going from a low pH to a higher pH.

discusforums - is one of the best sites for discus around.
Prawnstarz
Egg

Suburb: Hunters Hill

Postby Neo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I have always kept my discus in lower ph. I didnt know that you can keep them as high as ph 7.4?
The amazon is known to have low ph water conditions which is where the duscus originate from. Though one thing is for sure, they dont like fluctuations in ph.

Angelfish are quite hardy. There must be something wrong with your water or they were sick to begin with.
Neo
Premium

Postby Prawnstarz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 am

Discus of all ages can live and grow to very large sizes in pH ranging from 5.5-8.0. The only time you need to keep them in acidic water is when they are breeding.

I have kept the specific pair i reference in pH from 5.8-7.6, they have breed multiple times, but only in acidic pH.

Yes, amazon waters have low pH, but the unless you're importing your fish straight from the amazon, they have most likely been bred for several generations in higher pH waters. Anything like browns, wilds, tefe discus however do require very acidic waters.
Prawnstarz
Egg

Suburb: Hunters Hill

Previous

Return to Discus