Cross breeding

Discussion on the breeding of shrimps

Cross breeding

Postby albash24 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I have few colour strains of cherry shrimps plus CRS, CBS, golden and snow white in 2 tanks. I'm currently putting them according to their species and colour in the breeding box.

I've been thinking - would it be possible (or someone had experience) that cherry shrimp (regardless colour) cross breed with golden/snow white or any bee descendants (I put snow white and golden together)? I had a thought to put cherry, golden and snow together.

If possible, can I ask some pointers of how to selectively breed CRS. I'm aiming to get solid white and red following some nice pattern like flower head etc. What factors do I have focus on such as food etc?

Last question, how do I provide a thriving water condition for shrimps are happy to breed. I see my CRS tank lacks of concrete breeding evidences - none is berried.
I use RO plus mineral gh+ (reading 4-5 degree of GH), ph: 6.2, temp: 24C, zero ammonia, KH:1-2.
albash24
Egg

Suburb: altona

Re: Cross breeding

Postby Neo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 am

Its not possible for cherry shrimps to cross with your crystal shrimps, i.e. snow white and golden crs.

Also your snow white shrimps will cross with your golden crs.

Breeding shrimps I think is 80% good genetics and 20% food and environment. Its important to start off with crs that contain good genes. You should also cull as much as you can or separate the good genes from the bad thus ensuring good genetics are passed on to the next generation.

Be patient with the breeding, once they start breeding it gets fun. Only thing you can control is the right water conditions.
Neo
Premium

Postby Shlappa » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 am

So can I ask a silly question then

I could have some CRS in a tank and have a group of Cherry Shrimp as well and they will not cross breed and only stay with their group to breed

Just asking for my 3 foot tank

Thanks

Shappa
Shlappa
Egg

Suburb: Mooroobool

Postby shrimpman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

yes they will be fine I have my yellows with my mishling and they are fine cherrys will not mix with your cbs /crs bee shrimp
shrimpman
Shrimplet

Suburb: hackett

Postby Shlappa » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Awesome ty for that
Shlappa
Egg

Suburb: Mooroobool

Postby albash24 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks Neo