Set temperature affect gender of shrimplets?

Discussion on the breeding of shrimps

Set temperature affect gender of shrimplets?

Postby albash24 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Over few months of successful newly born shrimplets, I notice I only got only one or none of male. Now both my tanks are pretty much high male to female ratio.
I'm trying to rule out what factor does affect the shrimplet genders? Could it be set temperature - because I may have heard from someone or read sometime ago that temperature may be the culprit.
albash24
Egg

Suburb: altona

Re: Set temperature affect gender of shrimplets?

Postby inverted » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Temp affects fish....... I don't know about shrimp but I think you maybe onto something....guess someone who knows more will chime in
inverted
Red cherry

Suburb: North west Sydney

Postby albash24 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi inverted,

So how does temperature affects the fish offspring? Does higher temp warrants male ones?
albash24
Egg

Suburb: altona

Postby inverted » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Yes in my experience with Endlers warmer temps favor male fry development
inverted
Red cherry

Suburb: North west Sydney

Postby t3v0r0 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:00 am

Interesting theory.

I remember doing this search some time back and back then, there was no concrete evidence on the subject

What we do know is that for species like cherries, at a warmer temp, they grow faster n reproduce quicker.
t3v0r0
Ruby Red

Suburb: 2140

Postby Neo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:13 am

Higher temp does effect the period in which the eggs hatch but I dont know if it effects the sex ratio. Would be an interesting experiment.
Neo
Premium

Postby hairbear » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:46 am

I know from Reptiles temp does effect sex ratio...... high end temp = female dominant ratio , and lower end temp = male dominant ratio,
especially with egg laying, and incubation temp.
hairbear
Egg

Suburb: melton

Postby kizshrimp » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am

In Apistogramma and in Killifish, pH and temperature does certainly affect sex ratios. The research on Apistogramma many years ago showed that the outcomes were species dependent with some producing more females at higher pH or temps and others producing less. I don't have the paper handy to provide details. Some results were published in a TFH magazine which I do have somewhere. Perhaps some guys who are still keeping Killis could comment.
I have recently learned that the C. cantonensis varieties (that includes CRS and other Bees) probably produce more females at lower temperatures - I don't know about pH or other species like cherry shrimp.
kizshrimp
Egg

Suburb: Croydon, VIC

Postby vladguan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

hairbear wrote:I know from Reptiles temp does effect sex ratio...... high end temp = female dominant ratio , and lower end temp = male dominant ratio,

There has been documentaries about this with reptiles and especially birds controlling the temperature of the nest and the outcomes. Some birds bury their eggs and probe them to determine temperature and increase the temperature for more females and decrease for males. On a side note, temperature also effects male/female ratios in humans as well in that higher temperatures produce more females and in humans, it is the male that controls the temperature. I will leave it to your imagination on how that is done.
Please call me Vlad!
My tank.
vladguan
Premium

Suburb: Salisbury Area

Postby Neo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 am

vladguan wrote:
hairbear wrote:I know from Reptiles temp does effect sex ratio...... high end temp = female dominant ratio , and lower end temp = male dominant ratio,

There has been documentaries about this with reptiles and especially birds controlling the temperature of the nest and the outcomes. Some birds bury their eggs and probe them to determine temperature and increase the temperature for more females and decrease for males. On a side note, temperature also effects male/female ratios in humans as well in that higher temperatures produce more females and in humans, it is the male that controls the temperature. I will leave it to your imagination on how that is done.

Hmm very interesting :lol: explains why I have two girls.
Neo
Premium

Return to Breeding Shrimps