My Red Cherry Shrimp

Discussion on the breeding of shrimps

My Red Cherry Shrimp

Postby FrankyBZN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi all.

I have 2 females (red cherry) and both were carrying eggs. This weekend i put in a piece of driftwood with moss on it. This morning i noticed my one female now does not have any eggs in her "belly" but has a nice yellow saddle. I'm not sure now if the eggs she carried hatched or if she released the eggs for some reason.I couldn't see any fry either.

Is it possible to be sure / check this or must i just be patient and carry on as usual with the tank?

Ps how long from hatching do they take to grow to a reasonable size to see them?

Thanks
FrankyBZN
Egg

Suburb: Musgrave

Re: My Red Cherry Shrimp

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 am

Usually when the female develops her saddle, she starts producing eggs and when it comes to breeding time the eggs slowly move down to her belly. Thats when the eggs are visible. It usually takes a good 3-4 weeks for then the eggs to hatch. You can pretty much see the shrimplets instantly when they hatch but they are very small so you will have to look closely as they mostly hide. If after a few days you cant see them then you know that breeding has not been successful. ;)
Neo
Premium

Re: My Red Cherry Shrimp

Postby t3v0r0 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 pm

The female carries for 3 weeks or so before they hatch.
However if shes young and carrying her first batch, they could drop their eggs before they fully "mature" to hatch
t3v0r0
Ruby Red

Suburb: 2140

Return to Breeding Shrimps