Generation F numbers

Discussion on the breeding of shrimps

Generation F numbers

Postby ed9428 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Hey all.

Quick question in relation to F numbers.
Say I find a shrimp with a certain trait I would like to selectively breed out, will this be the F1 shrimp or will it be F0?

Cheers.
ed9428
Egg

Suburb: Newcastle

Re: Generation F numbers

Postby bonsai » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Well that depends...

In genetics, the F stands for the filial generation. If you breed your shrimp to an unrelated shrimp, it will be the parental generation, usually referred to as P1 or F0. If you breed it to it's sibling, it would be F(x). (x)-1 being the number of generations inbred.

So an F1 shrimp would have parents from different gene pools. F2 shrimp would be 1 generation inbred. F3 shrimp would be 2 generation inbred. And so on...

If you are talking about mishlings, the F generation does not follow the filial numbering conventions used in genetics. It describes the number of times it has been crossed back to a TB, whether related , or not.

I hope this answers your question.
bonsai
Egg

Suburb: Ashwood

Postby ed9428 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes it does, thank you.
I am playing with some rili shrimp. I have three interesting shrimp from one hatching (2 female 1 male) so they would be F1 as they are siblings. I separated them into a breeding box and now one of the females is berried, the offspring will be F2 as they will be one generation inbred.
Will be interesting to see what ratio I get with the desired trait.
Thanks, Bonsai.
ed9428
Egg

Suburb: Newcastle

Postby bonsai » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:03 pm

No worries. Good luck with your project. Don't forget to post pics of the interesting trait, when you are ready to expose your experiment!
bonsai
Egg

Suburb: Ashwood

Return to Breeding Shrimps