Heatwave in Sydney

General chit-chat about anything you like.

Heatwave in Sydney

Postby Neo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 am

Its already 28 degrees and its only 10am in Sydney.

Hope the tanks and shrinps are going to be ok for everyone. Lucky i stocked up on chillers this summer because its going to be a scorcher. Other tanks have fans but theres only cherries in those. 43 degrees forecasted for Sydney west. :( :oops:
Neo
Premium

Re: Heatwave in Sydney

Postby Finley » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

I have in the back of my mind that week the other year when the temperature didn't drop below 40C for 7 days straight. They were all up in the 42-46C range. Our rainwater tank actually melted, buckled and collapsed. And that was on the coast! What will happen to our shrimpies if we get another stint like that? :shock:

Please tell me about chillers because I've never seen one. Are they viable for just one small home tank? What $$$ are we talking about?

Ta :)
Finley
Shrimplet

Suburb: Sydney North

Postby 2OFUS » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

We have a aircon in the shrimp room .
Samsung smart wifi aircon so we can turn on the aircon from anywhere in the world ! :)
Check room temp etc etc
Set to auto on 20/22 degrees and happy days :)
Best investment ever,also have chillers on all the tanks but they havnt turned on once
4foot high grade crs tank with yellows and juvi chocolates/2x 45cm cubes red cherries and red rilis/16Lnano blue cherries/3foot albino longfins and guppy tank plus some L numbers
++millions of tbs :)
2OFUS
Blue Cherry

Suburb: Campbelltown nsw

Postby Neo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:58 am

Wow 2OFUS thats a very high tech system you have there. Wifi aircon that you can turn on from anywhere you want. Now thats convenience. Did it cost ya?

Finley you can purchase chillers from most local fish shops now. They connect to your canister filter and have a thermostat so it switches on whenever your tank temp drops below your set temperature.

Its an effective way of cooling your tanks. Its been around for some time now and was used in marine setups but are now being used in shrimp tanks. Highly recommended for hot areas. It does not cost much to run in my opinion if you keeping expensive crs its a must.
Neo
Premium

Postby Finley » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 am

Oh... I only have an internal power filter running. I guess that wouldn't work...or would it?

Actually I do have a spare, very small, external canister filter that I could perhaps hook up to operate only on very hot days. Hmm...I must look into this and be more prepared.

Is there a particular model or type of chiller that you like more than others please? Which one?

(And are they noisy?)

Finley
Shrimplet

Suburb: Sydney North

Postby 2OFUS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:18 am

Neo wrote:Wow 2OFUS thats a very high tech system you have there. Wifi aircon that you can turn on from anywhere you want. Now thats convenience. Did it cost ya?

Finley you can purchase chillers from most local fish shops now. They connect to your canister filter and have a thermostat so it switches on whenever your tank temp drops below your set temperature.

Its an effective way of cooling your tanks. Its been around for some time now and was used in marine setups but are now being used in shrimp tanks. Highly recommended for hot areas. It does not cost much to run in my opinion if you keeping expensive crs its a must.

Got it from good guys :)
It's a samsung smart inverter
The unit was $600
And $550 installation :)
4foot high grade crs tank with yellows and juvi chocolates/2x 45cm cubes red cherries and red rilis/16Lnano blue cherries/3foot albino longfins and guppy tank plus some L numbers
++millions of tbs :)
2OFUS
Blue Cherry

Suburb: Campbelltown nsw

Return to The Lounge