The Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimp)

Videos of shrimps, plants, fish or anything aquatic

The Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimp)

Postby Kharn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 pm

"Videos of shrimps, plants, fish or anything aquatic... " :twisted:

My name is Kharn...

The Juggernaut (Deceased) - O.scyllarus:180mm (Peacock Mantis) - One of the most colorful species.

And I love Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimps)...

The Leviathan (Alive) - L.maculata:400mm (Giant Zebra Mantis) - Largest of All Stomatopods.

Myself and my fellow crew members have been bombarding the internet for the past 3 years with high quality videos and photos of Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimps) specifically, my fellow crew members (all Stomatopods) are kept and maintained in what I like to call..."The Ultimate Multi Mantis System". As of today their are 14 different individuals and over 10 different species, having said that some of the species I keep are tiny nano/pico types that only reach maximum sizes of 50mm these species reside in small 4.2L HOB nanos that sit on the rear of the next tanks. Other 50mm-100mm individuals are kept in larger 30-40L tanks, then there are 100mm-200mm individuals residing within 80L-115L tanks and finally the largest stomatopods of all 400mm+ as thick as an adult human forearm, which reside in unique custom designed 120L tanks with 600mm deep sand beds for burrows.

Adam (Alive) - G.smithii:90mm (Common Mantis) - Very frequent hitchhiker into aquariums.

Behold the worlds most formidable living organisms (weight for weight) known to mankind, why look in outer space or in books of myth and legend when the REAL aliens are living here, now, in the very oceans of this world!

1080P HD capabilities with Sound

Hope you enjoy :D
Kharn
Egg

Suburb: Brisbane

Re: The Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimp)

Postby Neo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Awesome video, love the slow motion swimming. Look like a dragon on the move.
His boxing skills are powerful too. That crab doesnt have a chance against a heavy weight.
Neo
Premium

Re: The Stomatopods (Mantis Shrimp)

Postby Kharn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Neo wrote:Awesome video, love the slow motion swimming. Look like a dragon on the move.
His boxing skills are powerful too. That crab doesnt have a chance against a heavy weight.

Why are the Stomatopods...

'The Worlds Most Formidable Living Organisms known to Mankind (weight for weight)' ?...

Power - They possess the worlds most powerful strike (weight for weight), if a Stomatopod got to the size of a typical human boxer of say 6ft@100kgs, where the boxer is punching for 500-1200pounds of force, the Stomatopod will be striking in the hundreds of thousands of TONS of force, more closer ressembling bomb blasts then any actual 'punch'.

Vision - Their sight is the worlds most complex visual system, biological or mechanical, where we humans see in 3 cones of vision for color, the Stomatopods see in over 16 different cones of independent use (think predator...). Each eye is on a highly dexterous stalk and has 180degree vision all the time (thus together permanent 360degree vision 24/7) each eye has 3 'pupils' but each pupil can act independantly giving the Stomatopod 6 individual 'pupils/looking lenses' with 360 degree vision or...Hexonocular 360 degree vision.

Intelligence - They possess a very unique level of intelligence which has shown problem solving skills and other elements, not only that but they also have the fastest communication rate between their own kind, meaning when they talk to each other it can be on par with the level of humans and sometimes surpass us.

Endurance - They are found living and thriving in toxic environments so lethal that not many other creatures can be found, some species are found in rock pools and environments where the area is exposed to oxygen for long periods or where freshwater (rain) is heavy and random, they will also survive for long periods on no to little food going up to 4 weeks with no food.

Dexterity - They are very mobile and fast when they want to be moving with blinding speed to overwhelm a live healthy fish or dart back to their burrow and defend from within, they also fit into small tight places not much bigger then themselves and can move very easily within.

Any other 'super predator' that came against a Stomatopod of equal size will not live for long... :twisted:
Kharn
Egg

Suburb: Brisbane

Return to Video Channel