Changing from drinkable r/o water to di r/o water?

Discussion on pH, gH, kH, CO2 and other chemicals

Changing from drinkable r/o water to di r/o water?

Postby AGENTSMITH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Can anybody help me, i have a drinkable r/o water set up that i am currently doing water changes with and was wondering any benifits of using di r/o water instead? The current system is 5 stage (drinkable) and the other option is a 3 stage d/i system (non-drinkable)
Just to get a discusion happening, What are people using and what are the pros/cons of each system?
All help is appreciated, thanks
AGENTSMITH
Egg

Suburb: Oxleyvale

Re: Changing from drinkable r/o water to di r/o water?

Postby CPT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey mate ,

I'm no expert but I believe using the drinking water ro unit is not good for shrimp ( not sure why ? Just what I have been told ) I have heard of people just replacing one of the cartridges with the di resin. I would suggest contacting fsa they are ro unit experts and should be able to tell you what is need to make the switch.
CPT
Egg

Suburb: Wetherill Park

Postby AGENTSMITH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks, i have seen the di add ons, seems they run the ph lower out of the unit as well!
AGENTSMITH
Egg

Suburb: Oxleyvale

Postby 2OFUS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

U just gotta swap the resin over from alkaline (drinkable) to acid resin
4foot high grade crs tank with yellows and juvi chocolates/2x 45cm cubes red cherries and red rilis/16Lnano blue cherries/3foot albino longfins and guppy tank plus some L numbers
++millions of tbs :)
2OFUS
Blue Cherry

Suburb: Campbelltown nsw

Postby Monkeys » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:47 pm

You can just remove the alkaliniser all together and you will get pure RO water out. I don't think you would need to add anything else for aquarium use. There should already an acid / base deinisation resin the the RO system before the alkaliniser.

All the alkaliniser does is puts back some minerals like calcium, magnesium and others that the RO membrane takes out, to make the water drinkable again. Since you are going to be adding your own choice of minerals you don't need the alkaliniser.

Don't drink the pure RO water though, it's not good for you.
Monkeys
Shrimplet

Suburb: Balwyn

Postby blackwind » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:01 am

I was just wondering the same thing... I want to buy the water filter under-sink for drinking. from psi filter. http://www.psifilters.com.au/chloramine ... YtIbhuqpBd
and wondering if it ok to use for shrimp tank?

Sorry if i hijack this thread
blackwind
Egg

Suburb: Keysborough

Return to Water Chemistry